Private Wealth & Tax, Charity Law, Dispute Resolution, Probate and Estate Administration, Trusts (UK & International) , Wills
- Private Client Litigation
- Cross-Border Contentious Probate
- Claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975
- Charity Law and Litigation
- Property and Co-Ownership Disputes
- Insurance Litigation
Azeam is a private client litigation specialist who qualified as a solicitor in 2004.
Azeam specialises in advising on disputes relating to probate, charities, trusts, and estates.
His trust work involves both domestic and international trusts. He also regularly advises trustees on charity law, compliance and regulatory issues, Charity Commission inquiries, disputes between trustees, and disputes over religious centres.
He handles cases predominately in the High Court Chancery Division (Property Trust and Probate List), and Court of Appeal.
Azeam’s experience includes:
- Claim against Swiss trustee for negligence, multiple breaches of trust, unlawful loans to selected capital beneficiaries without authority, and subsequent action for the removal of trustee
- Application involving Beddoe proceedings
- Application against executors of a will trust to account (including a challenge to the costs incurred by the executors)
- Application under the Variation of Trusts Act 1958
- Claim for professional negligence against firm of solicitors relating to conveyancing transaction
- Representation to trustees to balance the interest of income and capital beneficiaries
- Representation where Bona Vancatia claim on deceased’s estate
- Advise on breach of trust case against former director regarding misappropriation of funds, conflict of interest and loss due to negligence
- Co-ownership dispute involving property and business assets
- Application to set-aside a transaction on account of undue influence, mistake and misrepresentation
- Application under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975
- Validity of a will, revocation of letters of wishes and validity of a foreign marriage
- Application for the sale of property
- Defence of an application for possession on grounds of an unregulated mortgage
- Application to account against property manager where skimming fraud alleged
- Application for an injunction to declare right of way
- Advise relating to mutual wills
- Application for Norwich Pharmacal Order where mandate fraud alleged
- Representations against voidance of building insurance
He has been a committee member of the Law Society’s Wills and Equity Committee since 2013 and is a member of the Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists (ACTAPS).
Insights, Publications and Articles
Trusts and Estates Law & Tax Journal November 2019 #171 – Executors: Duties to maintaining the estate, as well as to beneficiaries Azeam Akram, Jo Summers
Co-authored a practice note on Shariah Inheritance Law with Jo Summers for The Law Society.